Goaldi Mosque – Narayanganj
Location: Sonargaon, Narayanganj.
The Goaldi Mosque is a mosque in the historic Bengali capital of Sonargaon. which was established in 1519. It was built by Mulla Hizabar Akbar Khan during the reign of Sultan Alauddin Husain Shah of Bengal at a place called Goaldi – half a mile northeast of Panam village in Sonargaon. It is one of the few surviving medieval monuments in Sonargaon Upazila. The condition of mosque had deteriorated with the exception of the qibla wall the entire mosque had collapsed. Careful restoration was executed by the Department of Archaeology and Museums and this small graceful mosque is now restored to resemble its original design. The Goaldi mosque is a good example of the ‘enclosed square type’ mosque of Bengal that is distinguished by a cubical prayer chamber with corner towers and entrances on all sides except the qibla wall. A single dome caps the mosque; engaged ribbed turrets define the four corners; and the cornice is gently sloped. Circular corner towers are a deviation from the usual octagonal corner towers. This is the only example of circular corner towers in the Dhaka district.