Armenian Church – Dhaka
Location: Armanitola , Dhaka
History: The church bears testimony to the existence of a significant Armenian community in the region in the 17th and 18th centuries. Armenians came to Dhaka for business. In Dhaka, Armenian merchants traded in salt, jute and leather. The area where they lived known as Armanitola. In 1781 Armenian Church was built on Armenian Street. The site was an Armenian graveyard before the church was built. Agaminus Catachik, an Armenian, donate the land to build the church. Michel Cerkess, Okotavata Setoor Sevorg, Aga Amnius, and Merkers Poges helped to build the church. In the fifty years following the church’s construction, a clock tower was erected on its western side. The clock stopped in 1880, and an earthquake destroyed the tower in 1897. Today, the last Armenian that takes cares of the church is Micheal Joseph Martin.
Mother Teresa stayed in the church compound during her Dhaka visit in 1996. The church is 750 feet (230 m) in length. It has 4 doors, 27 windows. In the old graveyard, amongest the 350 people buried there.